KIND was founded by the Microsoft Corporation and UNHCR Special Envoy Angelina Jolie, and is the leading national organization that works to ensure that no refugee or immigrant child faces immigration court alone.
We do this in partnership with over 531 law firms, corporate legal departments, law schools, and bar associations has served more than 16,386 children since 2009, and trained over 26,018 private sector attorneys to provide them with high quality representation in their deportation proceedings. KIND promotes protection of children in countries of origin and transit countries and works to address the root causes of child migration from Central America. KIND also advocates to change law, policy, and practices to improve the protection of unaccompanied children in the United States, by educating policymakers, the media, and the broader public about the violence that is driving children out of Central America and their need for protection.
KIND seeks a full-time Paralegal for its Newark office (located in Roseland NJ) to support Pro Bono Coordinating Attorneys and Fellows in ongoing casework; conduct comprehensive know your rights presentations, legal screenings and outreach to child clients; prepare U.S. Citizenship and Immigration forms and legal documents; manage data entry; supervise undergraduate interns and oversee the work of volunteer interpreters; assistant in office management and help manage other administrative duties of the program.
The Paralegal position requires an Associates Degree, plus two years of related experience or Bachelor of Arts degree. A paralegal certification or training is preferred.
- Experience working with individual attorneys, law firms, or legal services organizations that provide direct legal service;
- Experience working in immigration and/or family law;
- Experience working with children, preferably immigrant and refugee children;
- Experience with language interpretation, especially in the legal context and/or legal document translation
- Experience working with survivors of abuse, human trafficking, or other trauma; and
- Experience managing office operations and data management.
- Fluency in Spanish;
- Experience conducting legal intakes or interviewing children;
- Excellent organizational and time management skills, and attention to detail;
- Strong cultural competency and cross-cultural communication skills;
- Ability to work collaboratively with multiple attorneys;
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in writing; and
- Ability to adapt to a high-volume workload with fast-changing deadlines and priorities.
Commensurate with education and experience.
Managing Attorney - Newark
Overseeing intern and volunteer work
The staff member will have, but not be limited to, the following responsibilities:
- Draft routine legal documents and applications, conduct research, file documents in court, communicate with court staff, and translate documents;
- Manage client case data and update client management software, including upcoming hearing dates, client communications, and filing deadlines;
- Maintain an asylum brief and SIJS brief bank for pro bono attorneys and community partners;
- Interview, screen and conduct a comprehensive intake with potential new child clients and their families;
- Prepare a case summary and comprehensive memorandum for each intake;
- Schedule and manage all logistics to ensure that an intake interview or client meetings are timely scheduled;
- Liaise with pro bono attorneys and firms as needed;
- Assist with office administration and operations;
- Supervise undergraduate interns;
- Oversee the office’s interpreter list through recruitment, training, and providing resources to volunteers;
- Conduct KIND’s outreach, Know-Your-Rights presentations, or community education events as needed;
- Other duties as needed for this role
Applications, including a cover letter, resume, writing sample, and three references, should be submitted online at: https://supportkind.org/jobs/
Applications that do not contain all of the above-listed required materials will not be considered.
Applicants are strongly encouraged to apply as soon as possible. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled, and applicants selected for interviews will be duly notified. Please no inquiries or phone calls.
KIND is an EOE committed to inclusive hiring and dedicated to diversity in both its staff and work.
The selected applicant will be asked to undergo a background check before acceptance of the final offer.