It is an honor and privilege to serve for a second term as the President of the only Latina Statewide non-profit organization. On behalf of our current board we welcome our new board members, Marelyn Rivera, Maria Del Cid, Blanca Rosales-Ahn, Emy Quispe and Milagros Peralta.
It is a very exciting time for Lupe Fund, Inc. Ideas imagined a year ago have gained momentum, and there has been growth in every area of the organization: civic engagement, technology, scholarships, and most importantly the benefits to members.
We have once again been able to leave our mark in the State of New Jersey and be the leaders in empowering Latinas!
A few program highlights in 2017 include:
- To date, we have awarded over $40,000 in scholarships to Latinas in higher education.
- Provided access to training programs that often include the basics of navigating the political system as well as how-to instructions for campaign strategy, fundraising, media and message.
- Endorsed a piece of legislation that established a joint venture program to increase economic opportunity for women-owned businesses, minority owned businesses, and veteran owned businesses by the Essex County Freeholder Board.
- Increased our social media engagement through a variety of ways.
- Created an AmazonSmile account as another way to fundraise for the organization.
- Dr. Farahi, President of Kean University, welcomed LUPE Fund and hosted the Young Latina Leadership conference with Special Guest; Hudson County Prosecutor, Esther Suarez.
- Made generous donations to shelters who serve homeless families.
In addition, this election year we were invited to join the New Jersey Bipartisan Coalition for Women’s Appointments, a statewide, bipartisan group of prominent women and organizations. We had the opportunity to participate and ensure the placement of women in key positions throughout state government. I would like to congratulate all who have been appointed to serve on the different transition teams. These teams will be making first rounds of policy recommendations where we are sure progress is inevitable.
The Lupe Fund, Inc., will celebrate 15 years of Educating, Empowering and Engaging Latinas to promote leadership and civic engagement. A heartfelt thanks to our board members who volunteer their time and skills and to all of our sponsors and donors who continue to support the great work we do. I look forward to celebrating this milestone with all of you and encourage you to join us by volunteering and becoming a member today!
Con Mucho Cariño,
Sara Peña, MPA
President, Lupe Fund, Inc.