Lupe Fund, Inc., continues a journey that began in 1999. This year we were proud to celebrate our “Quinceanera” since being formally organized in 2003. We know we are not alone on this journey. Rather, we are accompanied by countless organizations and individuals who work with us. Together, we are breaking all barriers to have more women who are leaders in their community get Engaged and Empowered throughout the Garden State. We honor and continue the journey begun by our founders, who were innovative and strategic in developing an organization that would provide the opportunities to train Latinas to run for office and advance as leaders in New Jersey.
Thank you to our sponsors and members for making 2018 yet another remarkable year for Lupe Fund! Our dedicated Board of Directors have done an incredible job at expanding our outreach while strengthening our programs and services. Congratulations to the newly elected Executive Committee; Vice President, Milagros Peralta; Treasurer, Diana Calle and Recording Secretary, Marelyn Rivera. I am confident in their leadership as we continue to fulfill the vision and mission of the organization.
Just a few highlights from 2018:
- Sponsors for the Union County Women Mean Business Summit
- An unforgettable Power of Women & Scholarship Reception -Hudson County
- Honored two distinguished honorees: Dr. Gloria Bonilla, a pioneer in Education and Assemblywoman Britnee Timberlake. While a Freeholder, she authored an affirmative action law establishing a set- aside and joint venture to increase economic opportunity for women owned, minority owned, and veteran owned businesses. LUPE Fund was at the forefront
- Increased our Scholarship Foundation – special thanks to Dr. Michael Gartner, Michelle Adubato and Gilda Morales. To date, we have awarded $54,000.
- Partnered with the Monmouth County Leadership Women’s Group and hosted a meet and greet cultural event in Shrewsbury.
- Congratulations to some of our board members who transitioned over to serve on Governor Murphy’s administration
- A statement from Lupe Fund on Family Separation at the U.S.-Mexico Border was made and published in media outlets.
- LUPE Fund provided scholarship opportunities to their Professional Members for programs such as Emerge NJ and CAWP's Eleccion Latina
- Proud partner of National Voter Registration Day
- Featured on Univision "41 A Tu Lado" segment
- Featured on ABC7NY "Tiempo with Joe Torres" episode
- Lupe Fund actively supported the Affordable Care Act Enrollment period
- Proudly attended the League of Municipalities “Women on the Move” Event in Atlantic City
- Board members made the following lists: Insider NJ’s Power Publication, Top Policy Makers and Millennials of 2018…
- Board member appointed to the MPA Alumni Advisory Board for Rutgers University.
- Celebrated women empowerment and successes with LUPE Fund members and Young Latina Leadership Scholars at “Una Tarde Con Amigas”, in Rahway.
- National Latina Equal Pay Day Event at Montclair University in collaboration with Latina Surge and First Lady Tammy Murphy
- Celebrated Hispanic Heritage Month at Drumthwacket
- Meet and Greet with newly elected Latina Assemblywoman Yvonne Lopez in Perth Amboy
- Lupe Fund and Lupe PAC Meet and Greet in Camden
We have once again been able to leave our mark in the State of New Jersey and be the leaders in empowering Latinas!
Finally, I would like to thank the Board of Directors and all of our members for entrusting in me to serve in this capacity for my third year. I am honored and motivated now more than ever to ensure we have an organization that will continue to live on for many more years.
Our work is not done, but as we reflect on some of the great Latina leaders in NJ and throughout the nation, I know there is hope and we shall stand united to uplift one another in this journey.
Sara Peña, MPA